The three merchant houses that comprise The Three Sisters Hotel stand near the end of Pikk Street, Tallinn’s main artery in the Middle Ages. First paved in the 15th century, lively Pikk Street was where spices, meats and grains were bartered and sold amidst the clatter of horses’ hooves and the banter of citizens.
The first record of The Three Sisters merchant houses comes from the year 1362, and we are able to trace all owners since that time. Among them were guild elders, town councilors and burgomasters, who often traveled to far-away lands and thus first started the buildings’ association with foreign countries. In their new incarnation, the “three sisters” continue the tradition by playing warm host to guests from around the world.